As part of its Clean Fuels Policy, Pemex is modernizing its refineries in Ciudad Madero, Minatitlán, Salamanca, Salina Cruz and Tula.The total investment involved is 3.4 billion dollars. The plan, which will take 4 years to complete, includes the construction of new plants in several of the locations
The objective is to produce Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel (UBA) in the five refineries, in compliance with Mexican standards. The new technology will reduce vehicle emissions of carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides by between 50 and 80%.
Since last September, 42,500 barrels/day of ultra low sulfur gasoline is already being produced at the Pemex refinery in Cadereyta, Nuevo León.
- Pemex: the government cash cow that environmentalists love to hate (Jul 2011)
- Why does Mexico need to import refined petroleum products? (Nov 2011)
- How long will Mexico’s oil reserves last? (Apr 2012)
- How many oil refineries does Pemex have? (Sep 2012)
- How much longer will Mexico be an exporter of oil? (Dec 2012)