Consultancy firm Brand Finance recently published its fifth annual survey (2010) of the world’s 500 most valuable brands. The Mexican firms in the list are:
- Corona (# 184) – principal product – beer
- Banorte (#189) – finance and banking
- Claro (#262) – cell phone service
- Telcel (#290) – cell phone service
- Bimbo (#369) – bread and pastry products
- Telmex (#420) – fixed line telephone and internet service
- Televisa (#490) – film and television
One noteworthy fact is that three of these—Claro, Telcel and Telmex— are owned or controlled by a single individual: Carlos Slim, Mexico’s richest businessman.
Note that these firms are not necessarily the largest firms in Mexico in terms of sales. Table 16.2 of chapter 19 of Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico lists the ten largest Mexican private enterprises in 2008. Important aspects of several of these major firms are discussed in the chapters about manufacturing, construction and services, transportation, communications, etc.