Carlos Slim Helú , director of Grupo Carso, continues to head the list of the 10 richest Mexicans, despite his fortune declining in 2013 due to the falling value of his holdings in Frisco mining company and América Móvil. Slim Helú was overtaken as the world’s richest person in 2013 by Bill Gates.
According to Forbes magazine, between them, these ten Mexicans have a fortune of 132.9 billion dollars, equivalent to 11% of Mexico’s GDP.
The top 10 are:
- Carlos Slim, 72 billion dollars
- Germán Larrea, mining, 14.7 billion dollars.
- Alberto Bailleres, mining, 12.4 billion dollars.
- Ricardo Salinas Pliego, Grupo Salinas (TV Azteca, Elektra, Banco Azteca) 8.3 billion dollars.
- Eva Gonda de Rivera, Coca Cola-Femsa shareholder, 6.4 billion dollars.
- María Asunción Arumburuzabala, former president of Grupo Modelo, 5.2 billion dollars.
- Antonio del Valle Ruiz, Mexichem, Pochteca y Banco Ve por Más, 5.0 billion dollars.
- Jerónimo Arango, whose family founded Aurrerá, 4.2 billion dollars.
- Emilio Azcárraga Jean, Televisa, 2.6 billion dollars.
- David Peñaloza Sandoval, construction firm Triturados Basálticos (Tribasa), 2.1 billion dollars.